Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Drag Culture


 http://assets2.blurb.com/images/uploads/catalog/66/3304166/3450776-c9cd7b7fd00a4c34b2b66a89cb928b51-fp-2a8945e160704476cb9bf4b021bf9b88.jpg




 Hello, my name is Dyamone Clark and my controversial blog topic is Drag Culture.  I would like to go into depth more of a drag performers. There are different types of drag performers. See Below. 














Drag queens are males who dress and act in a female gender role often exaggerating certain characteristics (such as make-up and eyelashes) for comic, dramatic effect.

Drag kings are women who perform in male roles.

Faux Queens are women who dress in exaggerated style to emulate drag queens.

Faux kings are men who dress to impersonate drag kings.

Looking at these different drag performance styles you see it’s all just an act. An act to mock and entertain. Since when is it ok to impersonate someone’s sexuality in a comedic manner?

2 comments:

  1. This is quite an interesting topic. I certainly didn't know that it was different types of drag, only drag queens, do I did learn that. One thing I have to question is it being an act. I mean isn't being a drag queen like being gay or transgender? I have watched shows like RuPauls little drag show about becoming the best drag queen, and I honestly don' think that is an act. I think these men really want to be women they just view them in an exaggerated manner. As for the faux queens and kings, I do think that is an act because you stated that they impersonate drag queens meaning basically disrespecting them and what they do and stand for. But I am not sure, so I cant wait to read more. -Tayler T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great topic to chose because I bet many people went away from it when they saw it on the sheet. It is a topic not a lot of people like to talk about so first of all I give you respect for talking about it. I think this was a good post because you incorporated a lot of what we learned in class about drag performers. I agree with Tayler's comment that I do not think most of these performers are trying to mock, I think it is really how they wish to see themselves. And yes faux queens seem like it could possibly me a mock or an act. I do not get why people need to disrespect when people are just doing what makes them happy. Great topic and great post.

    Abbie Minsker

    ReplyDelete