Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Destinee's Blog on Incarcerated Men




Hello my fellow bloggers out there, my name is Destinee Franklin and I have ran across some interesting facts about incarcerated men that I would love to share with you. With so many different things going on around america like the "government shutting down" and Detroit going bankrupt we've seemed to have ignored other important things that are really trending in our Country. The rapid increase on incarcerated Americans has really taken a hit! In 1920 there were less than 100,000  people in prison 80% being male and back in 2006  we had more than 2,000,000 Americans in prison. Here we are 7 years later probably not even curious to know the number now, but no worries because I'm going to share anyway. We have hit a peak where crime is just non stop! Its make you wonder and worry if you and your family are save anywhere. Today America has 25% of the world's population in their prison system and 15% are men. Are these selfless crimes or what?

 "While serious crime rates in the U.S. have been declining for the last 20 years, the number of prisoners serving life sentences has more than quadrupled since 1984. As documented in our new report, over 159,000 people were serving life sentences in 2012, with nearly 50,000 serving life without parole."

5 comments:

  1. First of all, there are a lot of people in prison, my God! I thought your post was very straight forward and very informational, you got right into the facts which I liked. It is so sad that more and more people are going to jail each day, it has me starting to think that all these people in prison dont really belong! I really do wonder why crime was low back in the day and it is so high now! I really think people and the police should look back and see what happened and what is happening now because the way its going we are all going to be in jail for running a red light! Good ob!
    -Tayler Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you set up your blog post, and how you were very blunt about it. It is a topic that a lot of people try to avoid because it makes them uncomfortable when it really is a serious problem! I did not know that the number of prisoners serving life sentences have quadrupled since 1984! That is pretty crazy to me, and makes me wonder if there is another way to run our prison systems. You did a great job using facts and showing the graph. It will really open up peoples eyes to actual numbers and problems going on. Good job!

    Abbie Minsker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Abbie and Tayler. The number of men in prison in the US is outrageous, and especially for the length that they are incarcerated for. I agree that major crimes need to be accounted for and punished, but most people do not realize how expensive it is to keep these men behind bars. They should do a better job of looking into these individual cases and let the early release programs be more abundant.
    -Devan Marry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! To think that 25% of our population is in prison is crazy. I never realized just how many people are. I think the graph is very beneficial because it shows not just how many people are in prison now, but how much it has increased over the years. I think is a great introduction because it has a big shock fact and it is very intriguing and would make me want to read future posts.

    -Aidan Munn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this and learning that there are so many people in prison in America really just surprises me! It doesn't seem like there are that many people really that are incarcerated, but I suppose it really wouldn't because it kind of seems like prisons are thought of as tucked away and nonexistent to most of society. I agree with everyone here that the length that men are incarcerated for is outrageous. No wonder there are so many Americans in prison! Great job on the post it was very informative.
    -Kassandra Barber

    ReplyDelete