Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gay, Lesbian, And Bisexual Rights Movement Second blog post Kassie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/asante-cotman-gay-student_n_1321329.html

The link I posted above is about a boy who was suspended for three days for refusing to take his high heels off at school because they were apparently a distraction.  This follows a long with my topic because the rights movement doesn't just involve the big wigs or adults, it affects children who are trying to discover themselves that should be able to do so freely. How would you feel if your child was suspended for wearing the "wrong" pair of shoes to school? Would you call national attention to it?

-Kassie Barber

2 comments:

  1. I do not think it is right to do that to a high schooler. I would definitely go to the school and fight against it, that is my child and I will support them. No way, I would not call national attention. I would keep it private between me and the school, unless other things happen. But I do think that students at the age of 17 are figuring themselves out and trying to pick they person they are, I dont think they should be penalized for it.It is a way of empowerment for these kids. They are at a public school where they can express themselves in clothing, a private school you cant really do that. So its crazy to see that they cant even do that anymore. This is very interesting to read, I happy I read it. Great job!
    -Tayler Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is unfair that a child had to be sent home simply because he was wearing the "wrong" shoes. I see girls all the time wear men's basketball shoes and men's clothing. Why is it that women can do this but when a man wears womens heels is looked down upon? I don't think this is very fair and if a boy wants to go to school wearing heels than he should be allowed to. its what he wants to do and if its what makes him happy then so be it.

    -Midori Harrison

    ReplyDelete