Thursday, November 14, 2013

2nd blog post (Women in Sports)

http://www.feminist.org/sports/titleIXfactsheet.asp

Above I have attached a like to the "Feminist Majority Foundation" webpage. When looking for interesting facts and pictures involving women in sports, I stumbled upon this page and actually really liked it. This site offers a lot of statistics on Women in sports which some may find surprising. They also explain why exercise is so crucial for the health of the female body. Finally this page provides a little background information on title IX. And for those who don't know what title IX is it is a law the prohibits any sort of gender discrimination. Meaning both men and women can do the same things and have the same opportunities available to them. Definitely if any readers have the chance go and read up on title IX because it is very interesting.  Because this site is one that supports the female race it does have information on events and how we can take action to keep the equality going between men and women.

By: Midori Harrison

2 comments:

  1. Before I read your post I knew what title IX was but not in very much depth. As a female college athlete this really interested me. Its funny how this law was put in place and where we still see positives happening, we still see quite a lot of negatives as well. I found it interesting when I read on the Feminist Majority Foundation page that males receive 36% more scholarships than females in college sports. That blows my mind when in the end we are doing the EXACT same thing. I think this was a great idea using this link in your blog post because it really shows the pros and cons of title IX.

    Abbie Minsker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Abbie, I wasn't all that familiar with title IX but I was aware that it was around. I'm not a college athlete but I suppose I could have been considered one in high school (I bowled varsity for three years) and I can certainly attest to the fact that my teammates and I were certainly more concerned with school and grades as well as our team, and I certainly wouldn't be the team player I am today without participating in a sport. I also agree with Abbie that I don't think it's fair that boys get more scholarships than girls but then again there are more guys playing sports than girls even with title IX in force. This was a great blog, and an interesting link, I liked it a lot!
    -Kassandra Barber

    ReplyDelete