Tuesday, November 19, 2013

3rd Blog Post- Women in Country Music


Country Music Is Ready For This
 


http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/17/drugs-casual-sex-comedy-country-music-revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHt5BJWBhA

 
The first link above is a link to what I believe is another blogging site called the guardian. I came across this when searching for ways women in country music are portraying gender and sexuality in their songs for videos, and I thought this was a great example. This post first talks about the female Nashville song writer Brandy Clark. Clark wrote a recent song called "Follow Your Arrow" which is played all the time on the radio and is sung by country female singer Kasey Musgraves. (The second link above is to the song if you wish to hear it). The lyrics consist of "make lots of noise, kiss lots of boys, or kiss lots of girls if that's what your into". Can you only guess what people are saying about this song? Musgraves's producers were originally worried because they did not think that country radio would except it. Musgraves says frustrated "Whether radio or the industry wants to admit it, I think country music's ready for it. There's enough free-thinking, open-minded young people who would support that song." I think the fact that people were hesitant to air this song, and also that people are causing a scene about it is ridiculous. The world is slowly adapting to change and I hope learning to expect other people too, and I agree, country music is ready for this. Masgraves received six nominations at the Country Music Awards a few weeks ago, and I think that shows the love and support people have for her and the gay population out their. Thank you for reading.
 
Abbie Minsker

3 comments:

  1. I wonder why the country music industry is so strict. I clearly remember Katy Perry I kissed A Girl song blowing up, although she isn't a country singer. My point is why can other genres of music be fine with homosexual lyrics, but not country. I think the record company was brave to follow through with the song to try and change the face of the normal country song. I guess this is a great example of the world around us trying to make slight change. Great post.
    -Dyamone Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't listen to a lot of country music but what i have heard has nothing to do with homosexual love or anything of that sort. I believe that this song should be aired more simply because it is a good song. I know the lyrics play an important role in the music but if we can have song about sex, money, and drugs I'm pretty sure we can have a song about same sex love.

    -Midori Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with this post. I am from a small town that is really into country music and I definitely think that in general, country music and people that listen to it are more conservative and usually not as open-minded. I love that Musgrave got nominated at then CMA's and that people accepted and listened to the song. I think it really shows that people are becoming more and more accepting of others.

    Aidan Munn

    ReplyDelete