Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tayler Thornton Introduction- Masculinity and Hip Hop


Hi, my name is Tayler Thornton and my controversial blog topic is about Masculinity and Hip Hop. My topic in my opinion is very interesting and very deep rooted. Hip Hop music goes back until the 1970's starting off as a good beat with meaningful lyrics, but as the years passed the beats changed and so did the lyrics. Rappers took on a whole new outlook on life, from rapping about coming out of the their struggled lives and talking about real life things, they focus more on being "The Man" with the all the money, girls, cars, and "iced out" jewelry. Rappers have definitely created this image for many young males, that they need to have the cool car or the jewels around their neck to be a man and that is something that I do not agree with. I am not saying that all rappers portray this image and Im not saying that all rappers lyrics are bad, but I am saying that hip hop music needs to get back to rapping about deeper things, rather than the high-lifestyle they live. The music video "Keep Ya Head Up" by Tupac, is an example of hip hop music having a positive influence on not just the African American community, but everyone that heard it. In his song he talks about women on welfare, his mother raising him, and some of the things he went through as a child. The lyrics in this song display a great amount of positive masculinity. The reason I feel this way is because he gives out a motivational and inspiring message, about keeping your head up and standing tall in the toughest times. One rhyme that stood out to me was that he said "I give a holla to my sisters on welfare, Tupac cares, if don't nobody else care". With Tupac saying this one line it shows his support and passion for the struggling females in America, telling them that he is there for them. As an authentic artist Tupac delivered thoughts provoking heartfelt lyrics that touched people of the same demographic and all around the world, he truly set the bar high for lyrical content with a purpose of enlightenment. Views on Masculinity have changed in real life and in the hip hop industry, due to the most popular rappers images and lyrics. Stay tuned for more engaging and exciting lyric dissecting moments with me. I hope you enjoyed the first one.


Tayler T.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting topic. You pointed out a few things that sparked me such as rappers lyrics now a days. I feel that when most rappers start off they rap about selling drugs, the struggle, and how they kill in order to please society and be know as the "Man" because of what they lyrics claim they do on a daily. As the fame starts to come then lyrics change to how they are now living lavish with lots of money and girls. I also agree with you about some of Tupac's lyrics, but his ways outside of his music does not match what he raps about. I feel rappers should act like what they rap about. But, of course that's not going to happen. Interested in more post.
    -Dyamone Clark

    ReplyDelete