Monday, September 30, 2013

Kassie Barber Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Rights Movement

Hello, my name is Kassie Barber, I am a sophomore and I am majoring in business.  My ultimate goal is to open a bakery after I graduate from Eastern that specializes in breads, deserts, and cakes that are diabetic friendly in dedication to my sister who has type one diabetes.  I chose the Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Rights Movement as my blog topic.  I thought it would be interesting to start off with a little bit of history about  Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual people.  Liking the same sex, or both sexes isn't anything new or a trend that people are following.  Being with the same sex or both sexes has always been a part of human nature it just wasn't always an "okay" thing to admit.  Even today people are hesitant to come out with who they really are in fear that someone may judge them or treat them differently.  In the US people didn't actually start to create advocacy groups for Gay. Lesbian or Bisexual people until after World War Two.  The major group to actually recognize gay men as an oppressed minority was the Mattachine Society.  The first Lesbian support system was the Daughters of Bilitis.  These two groups helped pave the way towards the rights of Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals.  But clearly the movement only starts there, this website shows how it grows, and moves through the important times in American history and how they have been fighting right along the way.  This is the website I found all of my information from and hopefully you find it as interesting as I have!
-Kassie

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/history.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment